Sunday, February 13, 2011

Treasure Island

In an earlier post, I noted that I really enjoyed the 1950 Disney movie version of Robert Louis Stevenson's TREASURE ISLAND. I recently finished watching the 1934 version by Victor Fleming. This version was in B&W and is reportedly more in line with the book.

At first, I didn't care for it because I was mentally comparing it to the thoroughly enjoyable Disney version. However, by the end of movie, the story had captured me and I was (again) drawn to the Long John Silver character. I think the viewer's relationship to the Long John Silver character is the key to the movie/story.

There is a certain ambiguity about Long John Silver. We are not sure if he is on the level or is pulling the wool over our eyes in order to get what he wants. In the end, the Jim Hawkins character acts with mercy and affection toward Long John Silver. I think that this is how we all hope that God treats us when it comes time for judgment.

I also listened to a radio play version of the story from the Lux Radio Theater of the Air (1951) starring James Mason (as LJS), Nigel Bruce, and Bobby Driscoll (both from the Disney version). Very good.

The movies and radio play have initiated my desire to read the book. I went to my local library but to my surprise, they didn't have any good copies. They just had 2 copies of a 1956 (!) edition, some beat up paperbacks, and some large print children's versions. I searched Amazon to see what is available and stopped in at some bookstores to get an idea of what's available. I have not found a definitive edition: good illustrations and accompanying essays. My next step is to see what editions are available from other libraries and use the inter-library service to borrow a good edition. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment