Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mark and Harriet


Last Saturday (6/25/11), Richard and I stopped in at the Mark Twain House which is a bit down the street from Lynn's apartment (it would be a long walk). Although we didn't tour the house or museum, I wanted to get a first day issue of the new stamp (see picture above). However, they did not have enough and had sold out within minutes. After browsing around the gift shop, we walked around the grounds and circled the house and museum.

Right next store is the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center. Although I had visited Twain's house when I first moved to Hartford years ago, I had never paid much attention to Harriet Beecher Stow because I never read Uncle Tom's Cabin. So we popped in to their gift shop and browsed around. They had a nice little exhibit about the famous book because this is the 200th anniversary of her birth (June 14, 1811).  Uncle Tom's Cabin was originally published in serial form in an anti-slavery newspaper. You can read it on-line in that format here or here. Or borrow the book from the library. I'm putting it on my list to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment