Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Visit to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

Basilica of the National Shrine
of the Immaculate Conception
(Washington, DC)
As I mentioned in my related post, I was strongly motivated to visit the National Shrine during my business trip to Washington, DC this past week. I don't really recall when or how I became interested in this church but I have been supporting it and studying it for a while as readers of this blog may remember. Probably due to what I have seen at the Knights of Columbus Museum.

I stopped here on Friday (5/17) morning before returning home to CT.  I was able to go on a guided tour (given hourly). I tagged along with a group of 8th graders from St. Bridget's school in VA but 50 minutes is hardly adequate for a tour of this gorgeous place. {If you click on the link above, the web site has a virtual tour you can take}.
Our Lady of Siluva
The basilica contains more than 70 chapels and oratories.  I was especially interested in the Lithuanian  chapel for Our Our Lady of Siluva. Readers of this blog, may recall that Lynn's family has a Lithuanian connection. Her great aunt, Sr. Pat, has a keen interest in their Lithuanian heritage. So I made a point to say a prayer and light a candle at this chapel.

Hill of Crosses Altar

Another important stop for me was the Blessed Sacrament Chapel because my mom is active in the perpetual adoration at her church. Again, said a prayer and lit a candle.


There is so much to see here. I wish I had more time to explore and ponder. Before leaving, I walked around the outside of the church. There are statues and more mosaics and these aren't part of the tour or covered by the guidebook. Hopefully, next time I visit Washington I will have the opportunity to see more of this magnificent church.


No comments:

Post a Comment