Sunday, October 27, 2013

Back from Africa (Uganda)

"This picture is of a quilt that 1 of the Nurses here made for me, using the pictures I bro't back from Africa."
Received another letter from Fr. Hattie. Actually, it arrived in Thursday's mail in a small envelope with a homemade DVD (see below) documenting his return visit to Uganda in August. He is now back in Michigan at the Columbiere Center.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dear Rick: Peace of Christ!

     As if by schedule, your lovely & generous Gift of $XX.00 rolled in like clockwork. Thanks for being so kind. I think I had told you that I had written, after my trip to Africa, to the 110 donors who had stopped giving Gifts after my return to the USA. Well, the effort is paying off, for I received Gifts from 15 of them along with theirs. Pray that it keeps up. They had probably thought that I no longer had any connection with orphanage. But, in my letter, I assured them that I definitely HAD & was the only fundraiser.

    On my trip to Africa, I gave the Sisters 2 large Charitable Foundations & told them that they would have to learn to take over since I was NOT going to live to be 120 in spite of what they might think. They'll find it hard & time-consuming in the beginning, but if one is appointed to beg for their entire Congregation, they'd be better off.

     We buried 1 Father last Monday. I was shocked because I had eaten dinner with him the previous night & he seemed to be in good form. Another is on his way 'out', so I've been sitting with him for hours since he is terrified of being alone & tries to get up. It gives me a good opportunity to make a meditation on death..how all the trivial things that bothered us in life, seem nothing then.

     Be sure that you have your special place in my daily Mass & prayers & please don't forget my 5 wonderful Sisters, my 1000 kids & myself in yours. Meanwhile, keep smiling & spreading His & Her love, peace & joy all over W. Hartford.

      Tons of love & gratitude.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A DVD containing highlights of his visit to the Nsumba Orphanage in August was included.


Mark your calendars for the 60th anniversary of Father's ordination; he was ordained November 21, 1953.

Send your cards & letters to Fr. Hattie at:

Fr. Gene Hattie, SJ
Columbiere Center
9075 Big Lake Road
Clarkston, MI 48346

or email to: EHattie@Ymail.com

Send donations for orphanage to:

IHMR Convent
c/o Sr. Christine Nantaba
5802 Evanston Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46220

Include a note on your check that donation is for Fr. Hattie's Nsumba orphans.

Finally, you may recall that this connection with Fr. Hattie and the orphans is via my late Grandma Marie P and her Circle 7 mission group. As a rosary was part of their gathering and this is October, the month of the Rosary, praying a special rosary for Fr. Hattie would be very appropriate.

PEACE!

Links:
http://www.colombierejesuits.com/about_history.html

No comments:

Post a Comment