Saturday, April 19, 2014

In Jail

A gift from my son and his mom.

I was in prison during the week of April 14-18, 2014. It was not what you think or sounds like (but it is kinda fun to say because it sounds shocking).

I visited a "correctional facility" in mid-state New York for work. We are designing a new fire alarm system for it and this was the first phase. I worked with one of my long-time colleagues. It was an interesting experience because we are using iPads rather than paper and pencils. We have a Corrections Officer (CO) with us all the time. Throughout our visits to this facility, I have found that almost all of the COs are very decent, diligent people with conservative values. In this area of the country, being a CO is considered a pretty good job (probably because of the retirement benefits). But all of the COs I have met have been attacked and injured at one time or another in their career. While the job has its boring moments, it nonetheless can prove injurious or worse at times.

Lynn and Richard joked with me about my assignment and gave me the above "Get Out of Jail Free" card just in case....  I didn't need it this trip.

Ironically, my Bible study for the first day on site was Acts 16:16-40 (Paul's imprisonment at Philippi). I have always been impressed with Acts 16:25 "Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God as the prisoners listened." This is something I aspire to, but have not reached: to be able to pray and sing to God during the challenges of life.


Written Sunday 4/27/2014


No comments:

Post a Comment