Tuesday, December 2, 2014

His & Her Blessings

I received the letter shown below from Fr. Gene Hattie via email on Tuesday December 2, 2014. My sister, ML, asked me about the meaning of Father's trademark "His & Her" closing line. I always assumed he was trying to refer to God in an inclusive way. I was surprised to find out that.....

"Letter" from Fr. Gene Hattie sent/received Tuesday December 2, 2014.

See my Father Hattie page for more information on how to communicate with Father and how to donate to help his orphans in Nsumba, Uganda.

Below is my transcription of the letter. I have taken the liberty of colorizing the background to simulate the Aerogram letters he used to send when he was in Uganda. I also have "corrected" any typos or light keystrokes. Otherwise I have tried to remain faithful to the text/meaning of the original letter.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dear Rick:      Peace of Christ!

     I might just begin by answering your question about the meaning of His & Her. By that I am referring to Our Lord and Our Lady. I stay away from the 'gender inclusiveness of God', for it engenders too much controversy.  And, I deal with too much controversy as it is.

    Secondly, I wish to thank you most sincerely for your latest lovely & generous Gift of $xXx.xx. Sister said that you thought that one of your Cheques never reached. I would suggest that, from now on, you send them (and maybe you do) to P.O. Box 88634, Indianapolis, IN 46208. That would seem to be safer. They had to move and maybe you sent the Cheque to the old number.

     When I left Africa, I was "abandoned', as it were, by about 100 donors, under the mistaken thought that I no longer had any connection with the orphans. How wrong they were! They don't know that I am the sole provider for the kids, and feeding, educating, clothing & medicating 1000 kids, as you well know, is NO joke. So, this year I am sending all of them a Christmas Card, a picture of some of the orphans and a Homily by the present Pope about our obligation to care for orphans & street kids. So, down on those chubby knees and beg the Lord for a BIG miracle! I'll keep you posted.

Nothing much happens around here, but I am up to my neck getting out 150 Christmas Cards, so there is very little time to Loaf.

     Please wish your wonderful Mom a holy & Merry Christmas and a Happy & meaningful New Year for me.

     Be sure that you have a super-special remembrance in my daily Mass & prayers & in those of the Sisters & kids. Because of your thoughtfulness, the kids' Christmas will be a much happier one. In the meantime, keep smiling & spreading His & Her love, peace and joy all over West Hartford & afar.

Tons of  gratitude & love,                                 

Fr. Gene, SJ                                       
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links:

http://ricketwrite.blogspot.com/p/letters-from-fr-hattie.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda

Written Saturday 12/06/2014


No comments:

Post a Comment