Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Eff-ing Xmas!


My 2014 Christmas Tree.

In memory of Judy: "Merry Eff-ing Christmas! (and I mean that in a most warm and affectionate way). H&J: I remember the gigantic tree in your LR every year and how you very meticulously hung the ornaments and tinsel. Thank you for opening your home and family to me.


This year I am alone, abandoned by my (local) family. But if they think they can punish me with the silent treatment, they are mistaken. I have a lot of practice of being alone (even with people). They are the ones losing out. Life is fragile. Life is short. This petty behavior creates an incredible waste. It is so sad, tragic. The lesson of Judy has apparently been forgotten.


I had a pretty good Christmas, actually. I slept in, read the bible with a good cup of coffee ("Winter Blend" - a medium-bodied roast featuring hints of cinnamon,cloves, and other spices. Courtesy of my mom-Thanks!), enjoyed a long phone call from my mom and one of my sisters (CJ7), read a fabulous mind-boggling article about religion, went for a long walk (to shed some calories and enjoy the sun and fresh air), traded text messages with another sister (SMH2), ate a turkey dinner with a glass of chardonnay, and am now typing up this blog with some favorite Macca music in the background.


I am currently near the beginning of the Book of Hosea (i.e., one of the 12 "minor" prophets in the OT or the Hebrew Bible). So appropriate for our time and country.

"Your piety is like a morning cloud,
like the dew that early passes away.

For this reason I smote them through the prophets,
I slew them by the words of my mouth;

For it is love that I desire, not sacrifice,
and knowledge of God, rather than holocausts."    [6:4b-7 NAB]

Recently, I came across a fascinating website/blog that looks at the role of astrology/astronomy in the religious myths. The entry for Christmas had this to say: "Kuhn is... arguing that the story itself is like a weathervane. He calls it a "meaning-vane," which is an interesting construction that evokes a weathervane (and may be an original word-construction invented by Alvin Boyd Kuhn) but which is designed to point us to some deeper or higher meaning whereas a weathervane is designed to point us to knowledge of the approaching weather. To focus on the vane instead of the thing to which it is meant to direct us, Kuhn says, is to miss the entire purpose."   Wow. That hits at the core for me. There are many layers in life and it is thrilling to travel on the yellow brick road. Anyone who has studied literature realizes that the literal story is often a vehicle for a larger idea.

The post includes a link to a YouTube video that goes into detail about the Adam and Eve story and the Magi seeking the newborn king. It is only 15 minutes and I recommend it strongly (unless you are a strict literalist). Merry Christmas.

The weather today was not very "Christmasy" since it was partly sunny, dry, and warmish (mid-50sF). So I decided it would be good to get out and stretch my legs before having Christmas dinner. I ended up walking for two (2) hours and covering about five (5) miles. I know, that is not very fast, but I have always been something of a wanderer, a stop-and-smell-the roses-kind. Take a deep breath!

I took great relish in saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone during my walk. I knew that that was very un-PC. So rebellious am I.

I stopped and read all the historical markers I came across (and I was surprised to find so many). I discovered a brook with a waterfall that I didn't realize was there even though I had driven past it for years (sort of like a hidden meaning-see above).

I also enjoyed the various architectural styles (and disasters) of many of  the houses I passed. Some people have huge houses! Do they really need such big palaces?

Closed for the Season!
After a while, I decided to walk to the Judica Store to check if they were open. Turns out they are closed until January. However, Dunkin Donuts and Walgreens were open. So essential (NOT).

Near the end, I discovered a nursing home tucked behind some apartments. I also ended up spending quite a bit of time in one of the oldest cemeteries in town (according to the historical marker), the Old North Cemetery. I hunted for the monument honoring town members who died during the Civil War but who are not buried in this cemetery. There was an interesting poem at the end:

"On Fame's eternal camping ground
 their silent tents are spread.
And Glory guards with solemn round
the bivouac of the dead."

It saddens me to see many markers either worn smooth by time and/or knocked over. No one is left to care as the memory of their existence fades away.

As I came near the completion of my little walk, the sun was setting and clouds looked marvelous. What a day. Thank you.

Day is done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links:

http://www.paulmccartney.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Hosea
http://www.usccb.org/bible/hosea/6
http://mathisencorollary.blogspot.com/2014/12/happy-christmas-to-all-and-to-all-good.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbSWJ9P9Tv8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=War_of_Northern_Agression&redirect=no
http://www.uky.edu/KentuckyCulture/bivouac.html

Written Christmas December 25, 2014 (Thursday) with minor edits on F12/26/14.


No comments:

Post a Comment