Saturday, May 27, 2017

Flag Planting At Fairview Cemetery


Once again, I marked Memorial Day (Monday May 29, 2017) by participating in the flag planting on the Saturday before. I almost didn't do it this year because it is actually about recognizing veterans rather than those who perished in war (per the original intent). However, this has become something of a tradition for me since moving to West Hartford (20162015, & 2013). It is also a way for me to honor a holiday that has essentially lost its meaning for most Americans other than the start of summer and a long weekend to party.

Map of Fairview Cemetery.

This year was sort of different for me because the previous two years I was assigned (randomly) to section 13 but this year I got to the opposite side in Section 15 (see map above-my section is highlighted in yellow). The task is straight forward: plant a flag at any stone/marker that indicates a veteran is buried there.

Panoramic view of Section 3 looking south. 

I was also given a list with 4 names who are veterans buried here but their markers don't identify them as veterans. I spent a lot of time in Section 9 looking for "God" (actually Gadue) but when I found him, a flag had already been planted since his marker did show him as a veteran.

Panoramic view of Section 3 looking West.

Section 5C is dedicated to Veterans and has a monument that recognizes the major branches of the military: Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force. The monument sits in a kind of pool (not a fountain).

Veterans Monument..
Wreath reads "We Remember"

It had rained the past couple days and the sky was overcast at the start (but later turned sunny after we were finished). Due to the rain, the ground was pretty soft, so I only had to use the screwdriver I brought a couple time to begin a starter hole.

I was there about an hour and half and planted about 50 flags. I was one of the last to leave.

Entrance.

Ironically, the threat of rain on the morning of Memorial Day resulted in the cancellation of the parade and outdoor services. This was the second year in a row that it happened and both times the rain never happened.

---------------------------------------------------------
Links:
http://ricketwrite.blogspot.com/2015/05/planting-flags.html
---------------------------------------------------------
Written Sunday June 11, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment