Sunday, November 26, 2017

Once Upon A Mattress

Program for "Once Upon A Mattress."

My son, Richard, and I enjoyed this musical, Once Upon A Mattress recently. It was produced by a local community theater group. The performance was at Richard's high school alma mater.

Why did we go? A young lady at the church I go to mentioned she had a part in the show and I thought it would be neat to try to reacquaint my son to his theatrical past (and perhaps inspire him). I also like supporting local productions, especially grass roots functions. And all this was a good excuse to get out and try something different.

Before we got to the theater (at school), my only knowledge of the play was that it was based on the fairy tale, The Princess and the Pea. During the show, I recognized the song, "(I'm) Shy", from Sylvia's recital earlier this year. The lead role of the Princess was played by Sylvia's music teacher/coach who did a fabulous job.

The show is connected to the Rogers and Hammerstein organization since it was written by Mary Rodgers, daughter of composer Richard Rodgers.

Our playbill (see picture above) had a little insert announcing the recent death of Dean Fuller, Jr., a co-writer of the book on which the musical is based. Mr. Fuller, a Connecticut resident,  died on October 31, 2017 at the age of 94!

Although I enjoyed the show very much, my only regret was that this was the final performance (of 4). I enjoyed it so much, I wanted to encourage others to attend and share this pleasure.

--------------------------------------------------
Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment