Thursday, May 24, 2018

Shoeless Joe Books

Front dust jacket (of  my hard bound edition).

The other day, I finished reading another of the Baseball Card Adventure series books, Shoeless Joe & Me. I love reading these juvenile fiction books right before bed. They are simple and usually not too stressful.

The description from the dust jacket (front flap) reads:
"Since Joe Stoshack first traveled back in time through a baseball card to meet Honus Wagner, he knew he had a special gift. So when sports card shop owner Flip tells Stosh all about his hero, Shoeless Joe Jackson-about the scandal that destroyed the star player's career-Stosh gets an idea. If he travels back in time with a 1919 baseball card in his hand, he just might be able to prevent the infamous Black Sox Scandal from ever taking place. And if he could do that, Shoeless Joe Jackson-one of the greatest players in the history of the game-would finally take his place in the Baseball Hall of Fame, where he truly belongs. 
But can Stosh prevent that tempting envelope full of gambling money from making its way to Shoeless Joe's hotel room before the big game? Put on your caps and get ready for Joe Stoshack's fourth amazing baseball card adventure!"
I bought my copy at a used book sale earlier this year. My sister Carol had been talking about Shoeless Joe Jackson and so I picked it up with her in mind.

I had the chance to pick up other books in the series but they were the soft cover editions (Scholastic Press). I would much rather hold a hard bound book. I also got a kick out of the actual book with the title embossed into the cover.

If you look closely, you might be
able to make out the title embossed in the cover.

Early in April, I read another children's book about Shoeless Joe:  Shoeless Joe & Black Betsy.

My copy was a soft bound edition.

It was in this charming book (loved the illustrations) that I learned the Joe had played  a substantial part of his major league career in Cleveland! I sent this one off to my sister and my Mom to enjoy and pass it forward.

----------------------------------------------
Links:
http://ricketwrite.blogspot.com/2017/11/who-invented-baseball.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Card_Adventures
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoeless_Joe_Jackson
http://dangutman.com/dans-books/baseball-card-adventure-series/
https://philbildner.com/books/picture-books/shoeless-joe-black-betsy/
----------------------------------------------
Written Saturday June 30, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment