Saturday, November 17, 2018

First Snow of the Season

It started on Thursday evening, just in time for the evening commute. The panic over the impending storm had begun in early afternoon when people started bailing out early. By 4 pm there was almost no one left. At 5 pm I may have been the last one to leave (and I'm not the captain).

The walk to the parking garage was so slippery that my steps were like a tight rope walker. There was about an inch or two of slush and the rain earlier was frozen underneath.

The drive home was about 10 mph. I didn't know my car could actually go that slow and still move. I hardly had to put my foot on the gas pedal. The news reported that snow fell at the rate of about 1-2 inches per hour; and when it was over, we about about 7-inches of snow.

Since the forecast was for the snow to turn to rain during the night, I hoped that when I awoke Friday morning it would be all gone. It was not to be.

The view at 4:48 a.m. on Friday morning.

When I awoke on Friday morning, the snow was still there but it was more like heavy slush. Due to the weight f the snow, I didn't do my usual snow job. Instead, I just cleaned off my car and my neighbor's. It took me about an hour and by then I was definitely ready for a cup of strong hot coffee.

The best part was the commute to work Friday morning. The roads were clear and almost no one was on them (i.e., Friday, school delayed start).

The local paper claimed the amount of snow was a record for the day:7.6 inches of snow at the airport vs 5.2 in 1906. Remember: it's "climate change" now, not "global warming."

-------------------------------
Links:
https://we-ha.com/first-snowfall-of-season-blankets-west-hartford/
https://www.courant.com/weather/hc-news-first-winter-snow-storm-prep-20181114-story.html
-------------------------------
Written Sunday 18 November 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment