Sunday, December 16, 2018

Return To Bethlehem

This year I was accompanied by my son Richard on my annual trek to the Bethlehem Post Office to mail my Christmas cards. I have come here to mail my cards every since we returned from Tennessee, more than 20 years ago (before the birth of Richard).

Richard, outside the Bethlehem Post Office.

In addition to a Bethlehem postmark, another draw is the annual (and previous years) cachet. The use of green ink pads adds to the holiday spirit.

2018 Bethlehem cachet.

There are 84 different cachets to choose. Ideally, you are only supposed to stamp the front of the envelope, but we like to fill the back with various images.  Richard had fun taking care of this.


This year, I mailed nearly 40 cards. Of course, the reward for all this hard work (besides a green thumb and other fingers) was lunch in Watertown at G's Burgers.


Richard had the BBQ Bacon Burger (no cheese please) while I stuck with a regular hamburger. We shared an ample  order of their famous, hand-cut fries.

BBQ Bacon Burger 
Fries and my burger.

On the way home, we browsed at an "antique" (junk) store; sadly, the used book store at the Watertown Library was closed due to renovation.

Although the sky was overcast, it was difficult to detect the spirit of Christmas in the air because today's temperature was in the low 50s (F).

Another interesting aspect was that even though Bethlehem is about an hour drive and we mailed the cards on Saturday, we did not receive our cards until Wednesday 12/19.

No comments:

Post a Comment