Monday, December 27, 2010

End of Year Snow Storm

We experienced our first real snow storm of the season yesterday and this morning.  The media is calling it a blizzard but I'm not sure it technically meets the definition. The National Weather Service reported wind gusting to 60 mph were reported.

It started snowing Sunday (12/26) morning and continued through this morning (M12/27).  The NWS is reporting about 12-20 inches of snow was recorded.  I'm not convinced that is accurate because there is a tremendous amount of blowing snow (that has drifted).
Sunday 12/26/10 ~3:45 p.m.
Whatever the amount of snow that fell, driving looks challenging (I can see the main road - US RT 1 [Barnum Avenue] - from my LR window).  The storm is supposed to be over by noon but the wind will continue (gusts of 35-50 mph could still occur).
Monday 12/27/10 ~7:15 a.m.
Fortunately, I did not have to leave home this morning because I am taking vacation days this week.  But when I woke up this morning, I spotted a car stuck in the snow trying to get out of the parking lot. Silly person - sad that she felt she had to travel when conditions where so bad.

She put her life on the line.  Eventually, a few other people who were braving the roads stopped to dig her car out. She drove about a hundred feet and got stuck again at the intersection of the main road.

Because of the bad weather, we decided not to attend yesterday afternoon's AHL hockey game in Bridgeport between the Sound Tigers and the (Hartford) Connecticut Whale. I listened to it over the internet. The Tigers lost 4-0; only about 2200 people showed up.

More bizarre was the NHL hockey game last evening (7 p.m.) on Long Island.  Although the storm was really going at that point, the game was not called off because both teams were already at the arena and the government had not officially declared a state of emergency (although they had requested everyone to stay off the roads unless it was absolutely necessary). Just under 4,000 lunatics showed up and saw the Islanders win 4-1(an Islander's win is something of a miracle the way they've been playing lately).
Parking lot for my apartment Monday 12/27/10 at ~9 a.m.
It has stopped snowing and I see people emerging to dig out their cars. Cars on Rt. 1 appear to be moving well but our side street at the parking lot entrance is still not plowed.  No place for me to go anyway. I've got a lot of work to do around the house anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment