Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Nativity



The birth of a baby initiates great hope, excitement, and joy.  Likewise, the birth of the "Savior/Messiah/Christ/Anointed" is connected with tremendous hope. I think people like Christmas (more than Easter) because the hopefulness of a successful birth is something everyone can appreciate. Christmas gifts also tend to be better than Easter candy too.

For a long time I have struggled with the "celebration" of Christmas.  It is because I believe that the "true" meaning (i.e., birth of Christ) has been overshadowed by increasingly widespread secular materialism. So my dilemma has been how to mark the season without coming across as "The Grinch." This challenge has become even greater since I no longer believe in the literal story of Jesus.

However, it is because the nativity story has meaning that it is still important and worth remembering and pondering.  Emmanuel means "God is with us" [Mt 1:23]. I think we overlook that too often, that God is with us. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it but it's usually because we are not paying attention. God's presence is all around us in things like sunrises and sky and clouds and ....

Most Christians have a cross or crucifix hung on a wall in their house.  I'm not sure many people really understand the nuances of the Resurrection. Especially since there are not many resurrected people walking around to remind us.  Perhaps it would make more sense to also hang a creche or a nativity picture to remind us of God being with us and the goal of being "born again."

I have the nativity pictured above hanging on my Living Room wall to remind me of the hope for our salvation.

A merry and blessed Christmas to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment