Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Extracted!!


I did not plan to go to the dentist today (or for that matter, the oral surgeon). But after several weeks of battling with Tooth #19, action was needed. A couple of weeks ago, I scheduled a visit to my dentist because the gum around this tooth was feeling raw. Discovered the tooth had an infection. After a week of antibiotics, things seemed to calm down.

The following week, I was back at the dentist for a cleaning and checkup (and more work) and a follow-up on Tooth #19.  The other dentist at the practice agreed that it was inevitable that the tooth was a hopeless cause. So we discussed what to put in its place: implant, bridge, and nothing. We didn't discuss when the tooth had to leave.

Tooth #19 in middle.
But time was catching up with Tooth #19. Several days ago, I noticed that my jawbone was feeling weird around Tooth #19.  This morning I wondered if I was taking an unnecessary chance by ignoring the discomfort. Why, it sort of looked like my jaw and cheek were swollen.

So I crashed the dentist office at 8 a.m. and they agreed to take a look (I've been a regular for 14 years). Tooth #19 was pronounced a goner. So I was directed to an oral surgeon to do the honors. Fortunately, he had an opening and now so do I (where Tooth #19 once was).


I am typing this up as the Novocaine wears off and (hopefully) the extra strength Tylenol kicks in; I've got several layers of gauze in the gap (to stop the bleeding) and am putting a cold pack on every so often to try to keep the swelling down.

Oh, Tooth #19 why did you betray me? What did I do wrong? I tried to take care of you. I brushed twice a day and flossed daily. I visited the dentist religiously twice a year for cleanings and exams. What tooth could ask for more? Oh Why oh why? It just won't be the same without you Tooth #19. No bridge or implant can really take your place (although a bridge will likely be constructed-but that will be another blog posting). Fairwell Tooth #19-may you rest in pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment