Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A Visit from Mr. Claus

Letter received January 6, 2016 via email.

I was surprised to receive another email/letter from Father Hattie so soon after his previous one (on January 1st). You will see many similarities between the two letters. Still, it's always nice to hear from Fr. Hattie.

As usual, a scan of the letter is posted above with my transcription below. Following my normal practice, the scan is tinted green-blue-ish to recall the Aerogram stationary that Father used when he was writing from Africa. As you probably know, Father still uses a manual typewriter to compose his letters. Reading this can be a challenge for some due to the typos and light imprints (etc.). Please contact me if you think my transcription below contains any air oars (HAhaha).

My Fr. Hattie page contains a list of letters along with information on how to contact Father and/or donate to help his orphans in Nsumba, Uganda.

------------------------------------------------

     My dear Rick:  Peace of Christ & a Holy & Happy New Year!

    Would you believe it if I told you that a certain Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus visited Colombiere and left me a beautiful Christmas Card and wonderfully generous Gift of $$ (the latter for our orphans) & that it is my unique privilege to thank you from the very bottom of my heart. That makes Two gifts for Christmas!

    A week from today I shall have my spinal surgery and that is good, but it still leaves me with a very great problem...how to find someone to accompany me to Africa, not being able to travel alone. Do you happen to have any plans to go to Africa in the near future so that I can accompany you? The next Jesuit will be going only in mid-May & that seems more like a year to me. You can bet your boots that I shall be on the lookout for ANYONE going there and I shall tag along with him. Prayers, please.

     Not a single word from my adopted son yet and I am beginning to fear more and more for his life. More prayers, please.

    Thought that you would enjoy this attachment.* Whoever wrote it was very clever. As soon as I DO get to Africa, I shall begin to search for him. If he was killed, he died for a good cause..because he didn't want to ruin a probably innocent man. I wish there were more people like him.

     You & yours have a big share in my Masses & prayers & in those of the Sisters and orphans. Continue to smile & spread His & Her love, peace & joy all over W. Hartford.


Tons of love & gratitude,                    

Fr Gene, SJ                                   

------------------------------------------------
*
---------------------
Attachment to Fr Hattie's letter
------------------------------------------------
Links:
http://ricketwrite.blogspot.com/p/letters-from-fr-hattie.html
------------------------------------------------
Written Saturday 6 February 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment