Friday, January 1, 2016

Looking Ahead

January 1, 2016 Letter from Father Hattie

Today I received an email from Father Hattie with his latest letter attached (see above). What a nice way to start the new year. Thank You!

As usual, I tweaked the image file to emulate the greenish tint of the Aerogram stationary that Father used when he was writing from Africa. Because Father uses a manual typewriter to compose his letters, they can sometimes be challenging to read due to mis-strikes, light impressions, over-strikes, and just plain spelling errors. Therefore, below is my transcription of the above letter. Let me know if I made any erors (hahaha).

Go to my Father Hattie page for more letters I have received from Father. There is also information about how to contact Father and how to make a donation to help his orphans in Nsumba, Uganda.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My dear Rick:          Peace of Christ & Happy New Year!

     My first and solemn task on the first day of the New Year is to thank you most sincerely for your beautiful Card and your very special & very generous Gift of $, more appreciated than you'll ever know. You're very generous & thoughtful person as I've found out in the past several years and Mama Meg and Grandma Marie can be mighty proud of you. Thanks Millions.

     I was supposed to leave for Africa this coming Monday with an American Jesuit Brother who was on his way to complete his studies, but that has been put on hold. On the very day that I was to have spinal surgery, the Dr. discovered that I had cellulitis in my legs & had to cancel the surgery. So much for my trip.

     On Jan. 3, I'm going to get an appointment to have injections in my spine OR surgery if the cellulitis has disappeared. So, down on those chubby knees & vote for the latter. In any case, I can't leave until the middle of May, for that is when the next Jesuit takes off..for I am not allowed to travel alone. Before you arise from the chubby [knees], arrange with the Lord to have another SJ leave before May and you'll be doing me a tremendous favor, for I'm getting itchy feet. By the way, I'll be staying in Nairobi (Kenya) this time.

     Be sure that you and all of yours have a super special place in my daily Mass & prayers. My love to your Mom when you speak with her and to Grandma when you pray.

     Keep smiling & spreading His & Her love, joy and peace all over W. Hartford.

Tons of love & gratitude,                                                
Fr. Gene, S.J.                                                     

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Written Friday 1 January 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment