Sunday, August 11, 2019

Sunday at St. Andrew

I coordinated my Sunday morning walk today to try to get to St. Andrew, the nearby Lithuanian RC Church just off the multi-purpose path. The sign advertises a 9 a.m. Sunday Mass; I arrived  about 9:25 a.m. to find a bunch of cars parked out front and the doors wide open. I arrived at the "sign of peace"-which I interpret as favorable and symbolic.

Sanctuary at St. Andrew RCC.

The interior architecture was what I expected and hoped: Paintings of the saints above the columns, gorgeous stained glass windows, and a pipe organ. Unfortunately, the Mass was also what I expected: altar girl, woman Eucharistic Minister, woman organist (sappy simple trite songs). Most of the congregation was older than me and white (the neighborhood is not).



The parish was founded in (September 24) 1895 and this church was built in 1911. Unfortunately, there is no website for the church to give its history and describe the architecture of the church.

A few years ago, St. Andrew Church was merged with St. John the Evangelist Church to form Holy Apostles Parish. No daily mass or Saturday vigil; only Sunday at 9 a.m. However, the other church (St. John) has 10:30 am Mass followed by BINGO! every Sunday.

The Last Judgment by Christ the King.

I don't think the people realize what a treasure they have with this church. The closing hymn/song consisted of a single verse and then the people were heading for the exits. There is so much history and architecture here to treasure and contemplate.  Perhaps I'll try to return and make a more detailed inventory of the windows, stations, and saints.

----------------------------------------
Links:
https://ricketwrite.blogspot.com/2019/05/third-sunday-in-may-no-rain.html
----------------------------------------
Written Sunday 11 August 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment