Saturday, March 12, 2011

Muppet Treasure Island

As you may recall from previous posts (1934 Movie and 1950 Movie), I am sort of in a Treasure Island mode. During a search at my local library, I discovered that the video tape version of a Muppet Treasure Island had disappeared. The library graciously purchased a DVD version without my even having to request; and they put it on hold for me.


Unfortunately, the movie is terrible! Tim Curry plays the Long John Silver role in a very campy style. Some unknown boy who sings like a girl plays the Jim Hawkins role. This version plays down the relationship between the two, in fact there is quite a distance between them. This sort of blows the whole story. Usually the Muppets spoof the movies but this was not that funny, the songs not that good, and the story was warped.

If you're thinking this version might be a good way to introduce the book to a child, I think it will be counterproductive.

No comments:

Post a Comment